Hey I am Thea, a verified global Canva Expert (one of 20 in the world!) I train small groups, sometimes 1:1, through live sessions in person or online globally.
Just a quick rundown on my career to date starting with graduating from a university in Northern California with a degree in Communications BA (emphasis on radio). Following that, I moved to Scotland in the summer of 1992. First job here was presenting radio shows on a brand new station Q96.
Soon after that I built my first website (in notepad, from scratch) circa ’95.
Over the last three decades, I’ve never been far from working in the digital and media spaces, in one capacity or another.
Below are some other bullet points on my career timeline – so far.
Here’s a list of the main career highlights to date:
- First commercial radio presenting job at Q96 in Paisley 1992. (Appx 2 years)
- Co-founded a music magazine Bigwig in the ’90s. (Only did 2 issues and moved on…)
- Wrote and published an 80s music trivia book ’98. Republished by Totally Content Books in 2021 – just in time for Christmas!
- Worked as a copy editor & web designer, and later went on to launch soyouvebeendumped.com on July 4, 2000.
- Began creating print on demand products on Cafe Press in 2001.
- Started blogging circa 2003.
- Around 2010 became a customer service manager which then morphed into the digital content manager at NSDesign.
- In 2011, I started delivering training on behalf of NS – starting with Business Gateway in Renfrewshire and West Dunbartonshire before covering a wide array of Scottish regions from the borders to the Highlands and Islands.
- In addition to Business Gateway and Digital Boost workshops, I have also done training for Highlands and Islands Enterprises, the Glasgow Chamber of Commerce, the Chartered Management Institute (CMI Scotland) and the Chartered Institute of Highways and Transport as well. I’ve worked with charities as far south as Bournemouth and organisations across Scotland.
- Been a “Speaker” at a variety of events for the likes of Women in Business and Ayrshire Business Women.
- In 2016 I became Scotland’s first Canva trainer – delivering half day workshops in Ayrshire before moving on to other regions (Read ‘How Canva Changed My Life’ here.)
- 2016-17 I embarked on a Print on Demand print on demand – starting with the likes of RedBubble then to TeePublic, Amazon Merch and KDP. It’s a subject I am passionate about
- In December 2018, officially became a “Certified” as a Canva ambassador (the same week my father passed on).
- March 2020: Having never done any online training, I switched to doing only virtual training via Zoom: webinars and group/staff training (Canva primarily, also blogging and Linkedin).
- Fall of 2021: Created my own publishing arm for books – word search, quizzes, journals etc – under the name Totally Content Books.
- Launched ‘Totally Scottish’ word search book (big and wee ones) which fast became best sellers
- End of 2021 – invited to collaborate with this is totally ’80s radio show to create a series of fun 1980s-inspired books. (See this totally ’80s post to learn more)
- 2022 – In addition to being a Canva Ambassador, became a SmartMockups one too. In addition to that, have become affiliates for a variety of other awesome companies. See my links page here for a run down of my top recommended resources.
Amazon Merch, KDP & More
My main side hustle is POD or print on demand. It’s basically content creation in the form of “merch” (merchandise) which generally means: tshirts, mugs, stickers, and other merchandise. At the end of January of 2019, I began my KDP journey – creating notebooks, journals, planners, sketchbooks and so forth via it’s Kindle Direct Publishing platform. I co-run a Facebook group with my friend James – it’s called Merch Across the Pond and is for UK people doing print on demand.
To date I have published around 170 books on Amazon with the aim of 200 by 2022.
First Wednesday Networking in Glasgow (now Online)
In 2015, I relaunched a monthly networking event in Glasgow called Southsidiers in Business. A few years later after it changed hands I few times, in November 2018, I rebranded it First Wednesday Networking in Glasgow but since Lockdown it’s all done online and open to business owners and professionals Scotland-wide. If you wish to attend it takes places every First Wednesday online via Zoom. (click to RSVP).
Get in Touch
If you’d like me to deliver some Canva training for your team, group or staff, then please get in touch via this website. Or get in touch via Twitter or Instagram. While I have a FB page as well, I seldom check messages there!
PS: Oh and before you go, head over to my links page for all my top recommended tools and creative resources…