Updated Winter 2020: Graduated from a University in Northern California with a Communications degree and emphasis on radio. Married a pen pal and immediately moved to Scotland in the summer of 1992. Built my first website (in notepad, from scratch) in ’95. Since then, I’ve never been far from working in the digital space, in one capacity or another, but below are some other bullet points on my career timeline – so far.
Here’s a list of the main career highlights to date:
- First commercial radio presenting job at Q96 in Paisley 1992.
- Co-founded a music magazine Bigwig in the ’90s. (Only did 2 issues and moved on)
- Wrote and published an 80s music trivia book ’98.
- Worked as a copy editor & web designer, and later went on to launch soyouvebeendumped.com on July 4, 2000.
- Started blogging circa 2004.
- Around 2010 became a customer service manager – then morphed into the digital content manager at NSDesign.
- Started delivering training on behalf of NS – starting with Business Gateway in Renfrewshire and West Dunbartonshire. Later training and workshops moved further afield, across Scotland and sometimes delivering workshops via Highlands and Islands Enterprises.
- Branched out and became a sort of Social Media Trainer for hire, (or a “supply teacher”), deliver training on behalf of Postable Ltd and Lesley Wood’s LMW Consulting – to name just two!
- Speaker at Business Gateway’s Women in Business – WIB (March 2014).
- Social Media Trainer Glasgow Chamber of Commerce (various dates).
In 2016 became Scotland’s first Canva trainer delivering half day workshops in Ayrshire before moving on to other regions (Read ‘How Canva Changed My Life’ here)
- Became a Younique presenter in 2014 though not actively promoting it. If you need a silent sponsor go here.
- 2016-17 I embarked on a journey of Print on Demand – starting with the likes of RedBubble then to TeePublic, Amazon Merch and KDP. It’s a subject I am passionate about both creating designs to sell on own shops but teaching others how to do it too.
- In December 2018, officially became a “Certified” as a Canva ambassador (the same week my father passed on).
- 2020: Having never done any online training, switched to doing only virtual training via 121 Zoom calls, webinars and group/staff training (Canva primarily, also blogging and Linkedin).
- Also thanks to 2020 have begun making a documentary, tentatively titled Ralph Says.
BROADCASTING TO PODCASTING
Since emigrating to Scotland I presented weekly radio shows on Q96, ScotFM, L107 on most recently on Radio Six International (radiosix.com).
Also been an occasional contributor to radio shows like BBC Radio Scotland’s Mac & Co and Call Kaye, and have made appearances on STV’s Scotland Tonight show.
I would have to say that RADIO is my joy…in particular new music shows.